Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you purchase through these links, however, bear in mind that this is at no extra cost to you!
Belly fat is that excess abdominal fat that surrounds organs in the stomach. It is scientifically proven that belly fat is the most dangerous fat. The reason is that belly fat surrounds vital internal organs and is linked to many chronic diseases. Such as heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, stroke, and other types of cancers e.g (breast, kidney, and colon cancer), and Including Dementia and Alzheimer’s diseases according to this report. Furthermore, this type of fat is also linked to sleep disorders and arthritis. The good news is that there are several home exercises that help burn belly fat. Furthermore, if you do them, you will enjoy the incredible benefits that come with weight loss more especially losing belly fat. These exercises are so simple and can be done anywhere. All you need is just half an hour every day and your body will be toned up.
How would you tell if you have belly fat?
Before you embark on any of these home exercises. Here is how you can determine if you have belly fat. Get a measuring tape. Wrap it around your bare stomach, above your hipbone. Hold it a bit loose around your waist. 35 inches or more for women, will indicate an unhealthy amount of belly fat, while 40 inches or more is an indication of a dangerous level of belly fat in men.
The crunch is among the most popular home exercises for the abdominal muscles and is ideal if you want to burn belly fat. Its focus is primarily on the rectus, oblique and generally the abdominal muscle. If you are looking for a better way to strengthen your abdominal muscles, crunches stand out to be the best and an easy effective option.
How do you do the crunch?
- A crunch begins with lying on your back with your face up, preferably on an exercise mat, carpet or thick towel (for comfort). You need to make the floor comfortable instead of l
yingon a hard bare floor.
- Bend both your knees at 90 degrees so your feet are flat on the floor. Position your knees and feet about hip-width apart.
- You can place your fingertips behind your neck or head if it feels much more comfortable or you can let your palms rest on your thighs or alternatively cross your arms in front of your chest. Do not tug your head or neck up and down when performing the crunch otherwise you risk straining your back. If your hands are behind your head or neck, ensure that you keep your elbows bent, and extended to your sides, at the same level with your ears.
- While in a lying down position, slowly lift your shoulder blades off the mat with a smooth, controlled motion. Inhale, then exhale as you engage your abs muscles and raise your torso. Lift yourself just enough to raise your shoulder blades off the floor. After your shoulders are raised, pause on that position for about 1 to 2 seconds. Then lower your shoulders on the mat again.
- Ensure that your lower back, tailbone, and feet should maintain contact with the mat at all times in order to put extra pressure on your abdominal muscles. Keep your neck as relaxed as possible while your face is looking up.
Performing a crunch will involve bending as well as extending the spine. Therefore, ensure that you do this exercise safely by not pulling your neck up, to avoid neck strain. Do 20 crunches for a set. Rest and increase the number as you get used to the exercise.
– Leg lifts
Leg lifts or leg raises are some of the best exercises you can do at home for toning your abs (belly fat) and if you want to burn fat in your legs. These are ideally the best effective abs isolation exercise. You do not need any special apparatus except possibly some cushions or weights for added resistance.
How do you do the leg lifts?
- Lie on your back preferably on an exercise mat, carpet for extra support with your face facing up.
- Place both your hands straight, with palms down, on the floor beside you.
- Then raise both your legs off the ground as you exhale to 60 degrees from the ground. Do not bend the knees, therefore, try to keep your legs straight.
- Ensure to keep your knees locked together throughout the exercise.
- While in the raised position, Hold for at least 30 seconds or more.
- Then return to your starting position (inhale as you go down). Do not let your feet touch the ground, 2 inches from the floor pause and lift them again. Use your arms for support as you lower your legs. Make sure your back should rest firmly on the ground.
Ensure to keep your lower back in contact with the floor and place both your hands to either side of your body or under your lower back for maximum support. Furthermore, do not strain your neck by keeping your face up. Lift your chin up a bit more, if you experience any discomfort. Do 10 for a set and take a rest. For an extra challenge, you can repeat 3 sets of 10-20 leg lifts. Image courtesy: Wikimedia
– Sea turtle
Sea Turtle exercises are very easy and effective workouts you can do anywhere induing your home for belly fat. It ideally engages all of the muscles along your posterior chain, including your erector spinae muscle, lower/middle abs, glutes, and hamstrings. Furthermore, the combination of extending and contracting your arms and legs will help strengthen your lower back and butt muscles.
How do you do the sea turtle exercise?
- Lie on your belly on a mat, or carpet.
- Keep your head up off the floor and in line with your spine, keep your hands straight pointing towards your feet.
- Raise both your feet above the ground.
- Remember laying on your stomach can make it difficult for you to breath but try not to hold your breath.
- Slowly move your hands so that they meet behind your back (1-10) times. Furthermore, squeeze your shoulder blades together when bringing your arms out to the side.
- Place your hands down and your feet while keeping your chin up. Take a short break and repeat the process.
Relax and try doing a couple of 10 – 20 sets, repetitively for 20 – 30 seconds.
Mind your chin and ground gap. Ensure to stay safe and do not stretc your neck way
– Sprinter sit-ups
Do you want to get six-pack abs? Sprinter sit-up is one of the best home exercises to give you this and help you burn belly fat. These intense muscle isolation exercises work on only your abdominal muscles. This further makes them ideal for strengthening your core, (your lower back muscles and obliques). Sprinter Sit-Ups uses your body’s weight alone to strengthen and sculpt your belly. Apart from that, you do not need any equipment.
How do you do Sprinter Sit-ups?
- Lay on your back with your hands resting on the floor, your legs flat on the ground.
- Then slowly lift your back off the floor, then lift your right leg, knee bent perpendicular towards your chest. While your butt is on the ground, shoot your left arm forward. The act looks like you are sprinting. Keep your core/abs engaged.
- Repeat the same process with your left leg and your right arm.
Remember to repeat the process for a desired number of reps while switching arms and legs.
Mind to leave a gap between your chin and your knees, start slow and gain momentum as you go. Make sure to engage your abs. Furthermore, sit on a comfortable mat for support on your butt.
– Mountain climbing
Mountain climbing will engage your upper arms muscles, as well as your core and your legs. These exercises affect nearly the entire body and are sure to get your heart rate up. In addition, your quads and core get an especially good workout too.
How do you do Mountain Climbing exercise?
- Start in a plank position with arms and legs little wider than your shoulders. Keep your body straight (do not raise your hips) and your abs pulled in. Support your body on your toes and hands. Ensure that your glutes are squeezed.
- Then pull your right knee towards your chest. As your knee draws towards your chest, pull your abs in even tighter. Remember to keep your body straight in a plank position.
- As quickly as possible switch to the other leg and pull your left knee in. At the same time you push your right leg back, pull your left knee towards the chest using the same strategy. You should continue to switch knees. In a right, left, right, left motion as if you are running.
- Start slow and increase your momentum, simultaneously switching the legs. Looks like you are climbing the mountain.
Repeat the motion according to the desired number, do them for about 5-10 minutes. Remember to take a rest. You may increase the number as you get used to the exercise.
Remember to maintain a straight body position and keep your spine straight. Core body stability is therefore crucial. You should, therefore, practice proper alignment of mountain climbers to get the most out of your workout. Ensure that your toes are touching the ground as you bring in your knees, but do not bounce on them. In addition, don’t let your head drop.
– Forearm plank
The forearm plank strengthens the abdominals, the back, and shoulders muscles. Other muscles involved in the forearm plank position include the erector spinae, rectus abdominis (abs), and transverse abdominis. Including the traps, the delts, pecs, glutes, quads, and gastrocnemius. By supporting yourself with only your forearms and toes, it forces all these entire muscles to be engaged. This is among the most effective exercises you can try at home if you would love to burn fat more
How do you do Forearm planks?
- Lay on the ground as if you are doing push-ups.
- Bend your elbows so that your entire body rests on the elbows. Keep your elbows directly below your shoulders. Hold your palms together and Squeeze your glutes.
- Straighten your legs and keep them wider than your shoulders for proper balancing. Lift your stomach and let your body maintain a straight line from the head to the heels. Hold on that position for about 20 sec.
- Inhale, exhale, and lower down your knees to relax. Increase the amount of time as you get used to doing this exercise.
- Repeat the process.
You many extend the time as you get used to the stance. Get rid of your belly fat click here!
Remember not to overdo this exercise. You should as well avoid arching your back, your butt, straining your shoulders, or bending your neck while doing it. In addition, you need to keep your spine straight and do not let your back sag.
– Bicycle crunch
Bicycle crunch exercises are among the most effective exercises for strengthening your abs muscles and the obliques. Therefore, if you would like to strengthen your core, this is an ideal exercise, for you. It is easy and can be done anywhere.
How do you do bicycle crunch exercises?
- You should lie flat on your back with both legs flat. Your hands behind your head.
- Then contract your core muscles, drawing in your abdomen in order to stabilize your spine.
- One knee comes up then one leg extended, let both your hands be resting on the ground.
- Change the legs as one knee comes up the other leg extends. This is like riding a bicycle motion. Alternatively, while holding your head raise your shoulder so that your left shoulder crosses with your right knee and vice-versa giving your body a little twist. In addition, keep your arms as wide as possible to avoid chocking the knees with the elbows.
Aim for about 12 to 20 repetitions and 3 sets before taking a break.
Avoid putting too much pressure on the neck in order to avoid injury during the exercise.
– Warrior stance
A Warrior stance is an exercise performed in a standing position. It is a very powerful stretch for the legs, groins, and chest. It is ideal for relieving backaches, as well as stimulating healthy digestion. Furthermore, this exercise strengthens muscles in the thighs and buttocks.
How do you do a warrior stance?
- Stand up and place your feet a little wider than your shoulders
- Your right knee should be bent forward while your left leg faces to the side.
- Your right arm should rest on your right thigh at a bent position.
- Stretch your left arm so that it extend towards your left ear up above your head.
- Switch hands and let your left hand now touch your left knee then your right arm extended towards your right ear up above the sky.
- Change sides so that you get the full benefits of this exercise.
Do at least 10 sets for each arm before switching sides.
Make sure you support your body properly by putting both your legs firmly on the ground. Remember to breathe smoothly during the stance.
Remember exercising alone will not give you the best body. You need to be eating the right foods and getting enough sleep. Furthermore, remember to consult your physician if you recently had surgery, pregnant or have any medical condition before you try out any of these home exercises when trying to burn belly fat. Furthermore, you need to understand that the best way to get rid of belly fat fast is by ensuring that eat healthily, exercise, and get enough sleep.
Get rid of your belly fat today! Click here!